An official State of Texas website.
Here’s how you know.
The .gov means it’s official.
State and federal government websites often end in .gov. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on an official government site.
The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.
To become a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, you must start the process as a counselor intern unless you are currently licensed in another state and applying for reciprocity. Currently, an application for a license in Texas can only be submitted by filling out a paper application. We are in the process of developing an online application for LCDC counselor intern registration and LCDC licensure by reciprocity.
To apply, you must submit all required application forms, fees and other documents to HHSC and HHSC must issue you a license or registration before you begin practicing or accumulating the required 4,000 hours of supervised work experience in Texas. Mail all documents and fees to the address listed on the application form.
Access the necessary forms and more information about the counselor intern and licensing process in the sections on this page.
Applying for registration as a counselor intern is the first step toward becoming a licensed chemical dependency counselor. As a counselor intern, once you meet the requirements to upgrade to a full LCDC licensure, HHSC will send you a letter with instructions for obtaining the full LCDC license. Please note there is not an application for the full LCDC licensure process.
To be eligible for counselor intern registration, you must meet the following requirements in accordance with Texas Administrative Code Title 25 (25 TAC) §140.405:
HHSC issues a counselor intern registration for a term of five years, during which time you must complete all licensed chemical dependency counselor licensure requirements, including passing both parts of the required examination.
If you fail to complete all counselor intern requirements during the five-year term, you can apply only once for a subsequent registration for an additional three years. However, if you do not complete all requirements, including examination, college degree and 4,000 hours of supervised experience, by the end of the three-year term of the subsequent counselor intern registration, then HHSC will deny your application for licensure as a LCDC.
To be eligible for licensure as a licensed chemical dependency counselor, a person must submit the following to HHSC:
A clinical training institution is a person or legal entity registered with the HHSC to supervise an LCDC counselor intern.
In accordance with 25 TAC §140.410, to become a registered CTI, an organization must:
The knowledge, skills and attitudes of addictions counseling as defined by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Center for Substance Abuse Treatment Technical Assistance Publication (TAP 21) “Addictions Counseling Competencies: The Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes of Professional Practice.”
Treatment facilities that can qualify as a clinical training institute include:
Other facilities that can qualify as a clinical training institute include:
The Texas Certification Board of Addiction Professionals is responsible for administering the written examination in Texas. You can download the application form for testing and access examination scores on the TCBAP website.
© Copyright 2016-2022. Texas Health & Human Services Commission. All rights reserved.